Development Director - ChicagoCompany: Saint Mary's University of Minnesota
Date Posted: March 23, 2018
The Development Director for Saint Mary’s University of Minnesota actively identifies, cultivates, solicits and stewards a portfolio of approximately 150 prospects, including alumni, parents, and friends of the University. The Development Director will work with faculty and staff as needed to engage benefactors in order to develop and implement cultivation and solicitation plans. The Development Director reports to the Vice President, Development and Alumni Relations.
Duties & Responsibilities:
- Facilitate 15-20 strategic development meetings a month with assigned benefactors, with a goal of hosting 200+ meetings during a 12-month fiscal year.
- Qualifying prospects and facilitating personal solicitations is a priority for this position. The Development Director will work with a wide range of constituents, and secure funding at a major gift level of $10,000 and above.
- The Development Director will work to nurture and steward relationships toward increased giving. Work will focus on the use of a donor rating and tracking process that moves the major donor through identification, research, cultivation, solicitation and stewardship—allowing staff to focus efforts on activities that provide the greatest return on investment of staff time.
- Demonstrate a commitment to learning about the university and all of its programs – a deep and thorough understanding of the university and its strategic priorities is key to successful benefactor engagement.
- Bachelor's degree required, Advanced Degree preferred. Strong candidates will have a minimum of three-five years of development experience, preferably (but not limited to) higher education with a focus on securing major gifts.
- Strong knowledge and proven track record of successfully communicating the philanthropic needs of a university/organization to its desired and targeted constituent groups through face-to-face meetings and solicitations.
- Proven ability to cultivate and strengthen institutional relationships with benefactors, and secure transformational gifts.
- Must have strong organizational and management skills, excellent oral and written communication and interpersonal skills and the ability to work well in a team environment.
- Experience and aptitude with various computer software applications and platforms (including Microsoft Office: Word, Excel, and PowerPoint, Raisers Edge).
- Must be able to exercise sound judgment, and work in a professional and ethical manner.
- Must be able to work with highly sensitive and confidential information.
- Able to work nights and weekends to staff reunions and special events.
- Must be willing and able to travel.
Salary is competitive and commensurate with experience
Saint Mary’s University of Minnesota is EEO M/W/D/V
All job offers are contingent upon successful completion of a criminal background check
For more information or to apply, go to: www.smumn.edu/jobs